BIKE • HIKE • CAMP • PADDLE
Note: If you are driving a long distance or bringing a large number of items, please contact us first to be sure we are accepting your specific gear and clothing. It will alleviate frustration on both ends, as our inventory capacity can change rapidly when we receive large quantities of consignment. If you have specific questions about your gear, please call us and we will be happy to better clarify our policies 828-258-0757
What we accept for consignment:
- Second Gear sells outdoor adventure gear, apparel, footwear and accessories. We focus on the items you need to get outside and enjoy our local outdoor sports, such as biking, camping, climbing, paddling, and disc golf. We do not sell items for team or “ball” sports, exercise equipment, or athletic and department store brands. For the purchase or sale of athletic equipment, please contact Play it Again Sports (828) 299-1221, located at 611 Tunnel Rd., Asheville, NC, 28805.
- The brands we accept on consignment are the major outdoor brands you would find at any major retailer like REI or EMS, or on a website like Moosejaw – Patagonia, Arcteryx, The North Face, Outdoor Research, MSR, Prana, Black Diamond, Chaco, Keen and many, many others. Please browse our inventory for a better sense of what brands are good sellers.
- Our store does not sell fishing and hunting clothing or equipment. If you are looking to consign or purchase items such as these, we refer you to our local friends at The Practical Outdoorsman (828) 575-2267, located at 327 New Leicester Hwy, Asheville, NC 28806.
- Second Gear also accepts items on a seasonal basis – we aren’t consigning puffy down jackets in July, and we don’t sell Chaco sandals in January. We also cannot stow these items for our consignors to sell in later months, as we have very limited storage space.
- All items that are accepted on consignment must be clean (no dirt, no dog hair, no bad smells) and operational (bicycle tires hold air and brakes work, headlamps have batteries, camp stove will light, sleep pads hold air). All tents must be set up and stoves must be tested in the store. Sleeping pads will be tested overnight to ensure that they hold air.
- Items we do NOT accept: Any weight bearing climbing equipment (carabiners, ropes, harnesses, etc), bike tires/wheels/components, used bike shorts, vintage apparel and gear, air mattresses, ice axes, mountaineering boots and equipment, skis and ski equipment, crampons, wet suits, electronic devices (watches, Fitbits, handheld GPS units
Second Gear Consignment Policy
Consignors can sell items for cash or store credit. Second Gear sends checks to consignors each month for any items sold for “cash” in the previous month. The store strives to mail all consignment checks by the 10th of the month. Consignors selling items for store credit are credited 48 hours after an item sells. Consignors may access their account balances online, or stop by the store or call for your credit balance.
Consignors receive 50% of an item’s selling price if receiving cash and 60% of an item’s selling price if receiving store credit.
Pricing and Monthly Discounts
Selling price is initially determined by Second Gear with input from the consignor. On the first of the month the selling price of consigned items are discounted by the following amounts: 0% during the first month or portion thereof, 10% during the second month, 25% during the third month and 50% during the fourth month. Second Gear reserves the right to reduce prices further for sales or other promotions.
Any consigned item on the sales floor for 150 days becomes property of Second Gear. It is the responsibility of the consignor to retrieve unsold merchandise before 150 days have expired, as consignors will not be notified as the expiration date nears.
Items for sale at Second Gear are the consignor’s until they sell or 150 days has expired. A consignor may also retrieve an item at any time. Second Gear may ask the consignor to retrieve any unsold items at any time. If the consignor fails to respond to Second Gear’s request to retrieve unsold items within 14 days, then the consigned items may be donated by Second Gear to the Haywood St Congregation or a similar non-profit.
Second Gear allows returns on consigned items within a 48-hour period after purchase. Once an item has sold, it will enter a 48-hour “return period” to allow for returns. If the item is not returned, you will receive your portion of payment once the return period has ended. If the item is returned within 48 hours, it will appear back on your account and be available for sale once again.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Some people are unfamiliar with the process of selling merchandise at outdoor gear consignment stores, so here’s a list of Frequently Asked Questions regarding our policies.
Our consignment fee percentages are very competitive with other used item retailers. Second Gear’s percentage of the sale keeps the lights on and goes towards paying staff, the marketing, and the merchandising that helps to sell your gear. As an established business, we have been gaining loyal customers since 2004. Our customers will be browsing your gear, saving you the time and hassle of trying to negotiate a deal yourself. Many of our regular consignors are sellers who have become frustrated with the time-consuming back and forth of online sales. In short, we make it easy for you to find a large market for your items.
No. If you are looking for same day money for your items, you are better off at a pawn shop or another establishment. Selling your gear on consignment will take longer than an upfront sale, but you’ll usually receive more money for your items by consigning them instead of selling for cash on the spot.
When you consign your outdoor gear with Second Gear, you turn over your items to us to sell on your behalf. As the consignor, you retain ownership of your items until we sell them. When you are selling your items with Second Gear for the first time, we will set up an account for you. We examine your merchandise, determine which pieces we can sell, and establish the selling price. After the items have sold, we a check to you for your percentage of the sale, or credit your account towards in-store purchases.
We sell used, in-season outdoor mountain sports apparel and gear. We ask that items be clean and functional – apparel must be clean and free of pet hair, stains, tears, rips and smells, headlamps or other gadgets must have batteries so they can be tested, bikes must have tires that hold air, working gears and brakes so that they can be taken for test rides.
We sell recognized “outdoor gear brands”, such as Mammut, Mountain Hardwear, Patagonia, Keen, Columbia, Arcteryx, ExOfficio, Marmot, North Face, Outdoor Research, Sierra Designs, Smartwool, Chaco and a few other select lines. We do not accept exercise equipment or athletic brands. For hard gear, we sell kayaks, canoes, bikes, backpacks, climbing shoes, tents, sleeping bags, and other camping gear that still has some good life left in it.
Feel free to browse our inventory for a better idea of what sorts of items we accept and sell.